On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Premier 90th Anniversary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:35 am 

And they are really pushing the envelope. Seem to be steering away from mainstream with their new snare lines, some pretty unique stuff. They follow through and start making some kits along these lines it can get pretty interesting.

Would love to give this beast a whack:

http://drumset.premier-percussion.com/c ... -hr-series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 am 

Away from the mainstream in what sense, Kel?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:12 am 

Dunno, Kelly. I’ll bet that this drums excels as the ‘…ultimate back beat with gunshot power…’, but I can’t see it “…still retaining great sensitivity that is lost with deeper snare drums.”

My guess is that the combination of a shell thickness designed to permit cranking heads up without choking, in birch, to scoop out midrange, with enough venting to keep it from feeling like hitting a cinderblock when cranked up, is going to be a great, sharp crack ‘backbeat snare’ with a pair of 2S clubs, but you aren’t going to want to use it all night, or play it with 2S clubs.

…and it has got to be as heavy as the Signatures that you love to hate.

After reading the description of all four of the snare drum lines, it is interesting that they do not universally apply features that one would think are either universally good, or not e.g. thumbscrew locknuts, nylon washers, etc.

Kelly, I can see you with a 14” x 7 ¼” Lancaster in the Aviation series. Looks like it would be a pretty solid ‘backbeat snare’, but a lot more versatile as well.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm 

cliff wrote:
...but I can’t see it “…still retaining great sensitivity that is lost with deeper snare drums.”

I suspect that is the purpose of the multiple vents.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:29 pm 

My theory is that multiple vents let air escape, and produce minimal excitement of the reso head, reducing sensitivity.

What's your theory on how all that venting helps sensivity?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 pm 

cliff wrote:
My theory is that multiple vents let air escape, and produce minimal excitement of the reso head, reducing sensitivity.

What's your theory on how all that venting helps sensivity?

I don't have one. I was thinking Premier might.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:55 am 

Actually Cliff, I want that 14 x 7, goofy looks and all (I don't care anymore), but I priced it :roll:

Yes I'm not a fan of Signature 14 x 8's, but It's not the size of the drum for the reason. Those things need enema's.
I feel the same way about SonorLite 14 x 7's.

After yesterdays 4 hour rock fest, I am needing something with more "ultimate backbeat with gunshot Powerful".
Wore myself out trying to get my current snare above the mix. Drums and cymbals did fine.

I still have my Signia 14x5.5 with the wood hoops to try. And I might add, I purposely left them on the snare drum, because after experimenting, they do work. Hard to believe they could last long but rim shots are out of this world.

The one thing that bothers me about that Premier drum is those vent holes. I see them as a gimmick and the effect they will have on the drum seems to be a negative one. Admittedly though, that is one thick ass shell.
Curiousity does get the better of me though.

Still working on getting this Signia 14 x 7, so I'll see how that works when it arrives.

Band wise, I finally found "the one". Just a terrific day. No one in the band is a TN native, thank the good Lord.
We have roughly 12 songs (that we all like) in one day. Just need to brush them up. We went through at least 50 tunes, front to back. Next weekend we will pick two for a demo for the clubs. One of the guys has complete recording capabilities.
Pretty excited. We are looking for a name.
When I get a nasty blister, things went well.
Hmmm...maybe I just came up with a name

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:52 am 

Hey Kelly,

Good to hear that the session yesterday went well. Can you post some of the tunes to give us an idea of material style?

Sounds like you were playing unmiked yesterday. If you weren't, then you need to go on a midnight mission to steal half of everyone's power tubes. :o (Assuming, of course that modern electronics has not already stolen all of them. :? )

Anxious to hear of the progress. Good luck with this one!

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:21 pm 

I can list some as soon as I get a chance.

We all agreed next week we will work on the sound, get a better mix. I knew I was hitting too hard and let them know it but I cut them a lot of slack because it was our first session and we were having such a good time. Things were non-stop and It was just too soon to work on it. I was up for it anyway. Great workout, if you're into that sort of thing :roll:

Let me see if I can list some without going downstairs to get the list.
Some we will ditch. And plenty will be added rapidly.
We are looking to add later stuff (90's, 2K's) into the mix and some earlier stuff (70's, 80's) to widen the range.

REO:
Riding the Storm out
Don't let him go
Time for me to fly

Zep:
Good times bad times
Thank you
Immigrant song
Rock N Roll

Stones:
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk woman

Jefferson Starship:
Rock Music
Jane

Journey:
Faithfully
Any way you want it
Lovin touchin squeezin

Whitesnack:
Slow and Easy

Kiss:
Detroit rock City
Dr. Love

Off the top of my head anyway. Quite a few I didn't know the names of but remembered them enough to play them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:38 am 

Cool. Nice when the first time feels good, and every one recognizes where there is room for improvement. ;)

River City Trio