On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:51 pm 

Saw the photo with practically a full first series Dejohnette cymbal set. I had all those when they first came out and actually used them for quite a while, loved em. Is that a 22" Encore Flat or Mini Bell? How do you like it? Was considering a Vault Encore 22" Flat but bought a Dream Dark Matter mini bell instead. Not having actually played either cymbal yet.

Some years ago Sabian sent to try a the Encore 22" mini bell but I sent it back as the cymbal seemed to be sort of anemic and felt not quite lively. The 20" Encore Flat I tried has that same vibe but.......I absolutely love the sound of Jack's on his recordings. He's got one particular one that has the stick of say that mini bell but a low pitch 'tah' right after the stick. Have yet to hear one in person that sounds like it. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 pm 

Hey Lane,

Good to hear from you

The Encore that you see is a 20” flat; I have never played one of the mini-bell rides.

I do use the DeJohnette’s occasionally, but I always felt that they need to be played louder and with more attack than I usually play with what I am doing these days.

What I did was have a set of Ibrahim Dirils AD Series made, with hope and intent of getting the same dark ride sound, and the warm, dark, lush crash sound. To my ear they produce much the same sound as the early DeJohnette’s, but they open up with much less attack, and at lower volume. Here is a link to a sample of those Dirils.

At first, the 20“ Encore feels a bit out of place with the first JD series, but I think it is because they need a much attach as they do, while the 20” Encore flat just isn’t going to open up a lot, and is going to stay pretty low volume, regardless.

I don’t think that my 20” Encore flat sounds a good as Jack’s does either, but I am not surprised. I think you can find some that you really like, and some not so much, and Jack has an easier time finding the good ones than we do. :?

If you would like, I can track a quick sample of the DeJohnette’s, including the flat ride, for you.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:02 am 

I'd like to hear that Cliff...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 am 

I'll try to get a short clip done and up.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:44 pm 

A quick sample with the DeJohnette Series cymbals.

Sound stage as follows:

• 14” DeJohnette Series hats (stage left)
• 20” DeJohnette Series ride
• 20” DeJohnette Encore Series flat ride(stage right of the ride)
• 20” DeJohnette Series china (far stage right)
• 18” DeJohnette Series crash (stage right)
• 16” DeJohnette Series crash (stage left)
• 10” Encore splash (center)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:37 pm 

Nice, Cliff. Donno nothin bout no cymbals, but the recordings sound great!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 pm 

Oh, I love that, Cliff! Really great playing and sounds. My fave are the hihats, although, all of those cymbals are special in the mix. Can you believe I once had a fantastic pair of that first series hat in 13"! They were so good, typical that I sold them (quite a while ago).

Still have the 20 ride you laid on me, thanks! I'm certain that was once my cymbal, I think the first one of about 3 of that model I ended up buying over time (they morphed just a touch). I put that rivet hole so near the edge. Presently, have both series 20 Chinas. Once I also had the first series in an 18 China. That one along with the 13 hats were odd pieces, I think (both excellent).

As always, love your style, Cliff!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 am 

Thanks, Lane.

Glad you are srill enjoying the 20". It must have been yours before; it just felt like it needed to leave with you. ;)

On of these days, I would like to try the 20" Encore china, but what I would really like is to come across an 18" first series china. I did not know that such a piece even existed, until you mentioned it.

So far as I know, there never was a flat ride in the first series, but I would like to have the one I hear in my head. ;)

I am interested in your observations on the Dirils (link earlier in the string), and how you think they compare to the DeJohnettes.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

can't open that file for some reason...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm 

cliff wrote:
Thanks, Lane.

Glad you are srill enjoying the 20". It must have been yours before; it just felt like it needed to leave with you. ;)

On of these days, I would like to try the 20" Encore china, but what I would really like is to come across an 18" first series china. I did not know that such a piece even existed, until you mentioned it.

So far as I know, there never was a flat ride in the first series, but I would like to have the one I hear in my head. ;)

I am interested in your observations on the Dirils (link earlier in the string), and how you think they compare to the DeJohnettes.

Okay, I found your link above with the Dirils. Love the way you end that one. While remarkably lovely cymbals other than the china and splash they didn't reach out and grab my attention. Will listen to the DeJohn's again but I think I prefer those. That Diril China, what size is it?

I have a 20" Encore China that is well used but in good shape. You are welcome to it anytime. As regards that 18" JD China there is only a small possibility that I could come across my shipping info on it. If so, I'll let you know. Lot of times people are ready to pass em on. Should have kept those 13" hats too cause they were something else, very good.

Send me to a link (if there is one) to your head and tuning setup as heard on that link, please.