On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:12 pm 

I have a Sonor 600 series hi hat stand which appears to be on its way out, the return of the pedal no matter what tension I set the dial at is sluggish to say the least, almost like it struggles to reach the full extension of wherever I set the clutch. Do you guys think it is worth trying to track down parts to repair this or is it time for a complete replacement, I've never experience this problem on a hi hat pedal before, ever!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:58 pm 

Hey Nick,

I think I remember some discussion, either here or on the museum, about some sort of fibrous bushing that swells, and that the problem can be addressed by boring ther bushing slightly, and removing the drag.

Anyone else remember where this discussion was had?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:59 pm 

That was pretty much it. A plastic bushing at the bottom of the mechanism. Since I never opened one, I can't say I fully know the specifics, but it sounded like a fairly easy job. I've noticed mine slowing down a bit and think it may be time to take measures.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

here is a vid of the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6_-1XKWAE&feature=plcp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 pm 

ok so have taken the whole thing apart, cleaned it up and applied some WD40, it seems smoother but until I test drive it properly at the studio who knows...the base is still free to detach which is frustrating, why couldn't it have been secured with a screw???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 pm 

The foot board should pivot until the tripod is locked by the clamping wing nut. If it is still spinning after clamping, then something else is awry. I will have to disassemble mine to understand how all that works.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:40 pm 

No the footboard swivels independently, regardless of clamping, I'm assuming the footboard is glued on?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:35 pm 

When did the spinning begin? That shouldn't be compromised by accessing the internal spring assembly, which just comes out through the top of the vertical tube once it's unscrewed from the pedal chain. Just now pulled mine apart to understand the problem, but the base is not involved. Can't tell by looking at it how the base pivoting leg and pivoting pedal arrangement is assembled.

Did you ever take that apart or did you get it that way?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:36 am 

When I removed the chain and pull rod the base was free to come off and did, I can't see how it was attached other than glue of some sort which seems a bit daft. When you removed your chain etc i'm assuming the base remains attached and fixed in one position?
For the meantime I have secured the base using some elastic bands and i'm hoping that the pedal is working again, i've noticed that it has a slight bit of resistance when the pedal is first played but I have read that is a common issue, strange that it is only doing it since I tool it apart :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 am 

percusski wrote:
When I removed the chain and pull rod the base was free to come off and did, I can't see how it was attached other than glue of some sort which seems a bit daft. When you removed your chain etc i'm assuming the base remains attached and fixed in one position?
For the meantime I have secured the base using some elastic bands and i'm hoping that the pedal is working again, i've noticed that it has a slight bit of resistance when the pedal is first played but I have read that is a common issue, strange that it is only doing it since I tool it apart :roll:

You are right; when I remove the pedal, the base remains in position, and will only spin if the base clamping wing nut is loosened. It does not rotate free of the center tube in any case.

As far as the action goes: I'm not sure why it should initially resist motion, unless the bushing at the bottom of the spring housing is too tight, or if something else is catching. You mentioned having used WD40. It's good for cleaning things out but not much good for leaving lubrication. The oil inside the spring housing looked to me to be about a 20 or 30 wt, and in the case of my hi-hat, which is about three years old now, there's was still a goodly amount coating everything. The bushing at the bottom of the spring holder has to exert some force on the shaft or the oil will all come out and end up on your pedal, the shoe, and the floor. But it is loose enough so that a little lubricant coats that shaft and makes a rather nasty black ooze that is collected by a felt that is supposed to be, I assume, just above the rubber damper. On mine, the felt is in shreds and needs replacing.

I'm sure you have seen this diagram and checked out 190 304 01: http://www.sonor.com/sonor/Ersatzteilka ... 674_MC.pdf

Unfortunately, Sonor does not provide a diagram of the base assembly, let alone advertise any spare parts for it. I suspect that the assembly disassembles by compressing the top collar of the plastic bushing and pushing the everything downward, but the collar might be destroyed in the process.