On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 am 

... I have just entered it for better (I hope) or worse. Just traded some guitar gear I wasn't using for a really cool Pintech custom electronic kit. It was built from a real PDP silver sparkle drum kit so it has a nicer look and feel than looking at sterile black pads. It comes with nice rebounding mesh heads and all the drums and cymbals are dual-zone so you can get different sounds on the drum rims and cymbal bells than the general drumhead or cymbal area.

Just the fact that you can practice so quietly, and plug a metronome/drum machine or MP3 player into an Aux input and play along with those through headphones might make my family and neighbors pretty happy.

I'll send some pics and hopefully some sounds after I get up and running...

- D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 am 

Pics would be entertaining, but don't post sound files. I mean, if the kit's plugged in, it can sound like anything. :| Right? :lol:

One thing; since it looks more like an ordinary kit, it is as annoying to carry? Or is this strictly for homework? Sounds like a great practice tool in places where invasion of others' privacy is an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am 

Gregory wrote:
Pics would be entertaining, but don't post sound files. I mean, if the kit's plugged in, it can sound like anything. :| Right? :lol:

Yep, that's the idea!! ;)

Gregory wrote:
One thing; since it looks more like an ordinary kit, it is as annoying to carry? Or is this strictly for homework? Sounds like a great practice tool in places where invasion of others' privacy is an issue.

The only thing that seems like it might be a little annoying to transport is the cymbals. They look really durable, but have controllers and short cables hanging off of them, and the hi-hat has a controller between both cymbals so that should be carried as a connected set. Since they don't really sit "flat" you can't just toss them in a normal cymbal bag is I guess what I'm saying. That being said, I could see myself supplementing an acoustic kit with one or two electronic pads live, but I don't think I'll be carting this whole thing with the rack around to gigs.

Here is a previous pic the guy sent me of the drums and cymbals... you get the idea.

- D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 pm 

I have a Roland TD-12 with several pads. I like having sound effects at my disposal behind my Sonor kit, but any E Kit, including mine, doesn't do much for me as far as duplicating the feel, dynamics, and realistic sounds via multiple strokes on a pad. Congrats on your purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:50 am 

Electronic drums are amazing for practice. I got my first set over 10 years ago now and it was the very first Yamaha DTXtreme kit with real birch shells and remo heads! I loved it but the heads were still pretty noisy and made loud tapping sounds when struck.
Through my love of Frank Zappa I found the drummer Morgan Agren and just loved his style and talent and as the internet was becoming more and more popular did a bit of research on him and his gear. I found he was working with Toontrack on the very first DFH (Drum kit from hell). This got me hooked on the thought of electronic drum pads but such realistic drum samples being triggered. DFH superior was then released which included the Designer kit of Tomas Hake of Meshuggah so I had to get that! My neighbours were complaining about the tapping sounds from my Yamaha kit so I looked to replace it with a more up to date model but was not impressed with Yamaha's offerings. Again I found Morgan Agren using a Hart Dynamics kit while testing DFH Superior in the studio and wanted to know more about these kits. After months of research they seemed to have a very good name so I sold my car and my Yamaha kit and ordered one from the states without having laid a stick on one! It arrived 3 months later and I was gobsmacked at the quality especially of the hardware. Thing is built like a tank! Using the Roland TD-20 module and now the new Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs my electronic drums are now closer to an acoustic kit than I could have ever imagined. Played my first gig with them a few weeks ago and being able to change kits in an instant on my macbook, add in cowbells instantly, change from playing with sticks to brushes to rods........It's a great experience. I have videos of this gig on Youtube if your interested.

I hope you enjoy yours Phat!!!!
:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 am 

SSFan: Knowing myself, I probably never would have plunked down cash for an e-kit. But the idea that I could trade for one with stuff I was never gonna use again made it that much easier for me. I don't think I will regret it at all!

Ron: I'd love to see the videos of your gig. Most of the local guys I see who play these look like home studio guys who have never owned an acoustic kit.

Just being able to practice up on my 3rd floor (bedroom) without bothering people will be awesome!

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBNrhEK ... ature=plcp

Can't see me playing them which is a huge bonus :lol:

Sorry for poor audio quality but it was in a living room and had very limited space!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 am 

SonoRon wrote:

Can't see me playing them which is a huge bonus :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SonoRon wrote:

Sorry for poor audio quality...

How can we tell? :? :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm 

:D :D :D

I think a proper video of You Ron would be acceptable...

Electronic kit - great for indoors, but I'll never sit behind one "outdoors"... :)

Somehow, I can NEVER picture myself behind one of these...

P.S. I think I saw your back in the window there. I can't tell by the right hand whether it was Ron - sorry... :oops:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:42 am 

I have a Hart kit. I've used it live with a band with a full PA. I've always used an acoustic kick (muffled or not) with a trigger and acoustic cymbals. Somehow I was always just a bit uncomfortable with everyone being able to stare at my giblets... :oops: :lol: