On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greg....Sticks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 am 

I'm completely suffering from old age, I don't remember if it was phone conversation or on here where we were talking about the AJ series.
I ordered all 6. I would encourage you to try the AJ2, I think you tried the AJ3 and the SD4. I liked the SD4 but really like this AJ2.
I'll give you a run down on the other 5 when I go back and run through them again.

Cliff and I went through and searched the closest thing to the AJ2 in Maple, American Heritage. It was the AH5A. I got those in and still prefer the AJ2.

Post subject: Re: Greg....Sticks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am 

At the moment, 7 topics down, big capital letters STICKS that became a discussion about walnut and white somethings... uh... I don't remember what right now.

Difference in feel between AJ2 and AJ3?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 am 

Noticeably lighter, noticeably faster. Really really nice balanced feel.
I feared lighter sticks in the past because of compromised drum sound.
I put these up against a few others that I have been using purely to test this. There was no loss in projection/tone.
I would have and did reject the AJ3. The AJ2 is better in every way. The AJ3 feels heavier, clunky, balanced wrong in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Noticeably lighter, noticeably faster. Really really nice balanced feel.
I feared lighter sticks in the past because of compromised drum sound.
I put these up against a few others that I have been using purely to test this. There was no loss in projection/tone.
I would have and did reject the AJ3. The AJ2 is better in every way. The AJ3 feels heavier, clunky, balanced wrong in comparison.

Thanks, Kel. I, too, have rejected AJ3, and have been using the SD4 because it is a bit faster. The AJ2 diameter seems like it would be a bit on the fat side, but the taper is much slower so I can see how it would be lighter. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 am 

Cool. I think you're gonna love em. It is the lightest stick I have found to date that does not alter the sound of my drums.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm 

Changing sticks is always a bit of a mixup, trying to understand whether the problem is a result of the unfamiliar sizing, or a technical problem that was never solved but was masked by a certain familiarity with the old stick. Quick take on the AJ2:

1. Heavy. It weighs quite a bit more than the SD4 or the AJ3.
2. Fat. Thicker than the SD4, particularly where I notice it between thumb and index finger of my left hand.
3. Fast. Longer taper to the end makes for a lighter stick out at the end where weight counts for more.
4. I like the faster feeling, but the overall weight is problematic because the stick, despite the light end, still hits hard. That's probably why you like the sound it makes on your kit, Kel... that and the density of the stick.
5. The drum and cymbal sounds are indeed nice.

I know you don't use cross grip like I do, and I can imagine that this stick would work really well with matched grip. While my hands are large, my fingers are relatively short (would seem to be a drawback in terms of being able to wrap the index finger around the stick for control). In any case, I have not adapted to the AJ2 as quickly as I would have liked. The SD4 still feels better even though it is more sluggish, and neither the SD4 or the AJ2 has the feel of the Bopworks stick, but that one costs twice as much and shatters, and it cannot produce the fatter sound needed for anything but the softest playing.

I have not noticed any shattered tips with any of the VF sticks I've been using.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 pm 

Aw bummer. Sorry man.
Aware of our significant differences maybe I should have considered them more.

I don't know if it's match grip or what but I've never been able to play with too thin a stick. It creates major problems for my hands trying to grip too thin a stick. So I look for volume with less weight.

To date, the AJ2 is the lightest with the most comfortable circumference that I have found. And the balance is incredible.

I really like that SD4 but it does feel heavier to me now. There also was a significant change in my drum and cymbal sound but it wasn't intolerable. A SD4 with a acorn tip would seem to be a viable option.

As years pass by I tolerate heavier sticks less and less. I really like the AJ2 now but we'll see how long it lasts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 pm 

No apologies needed, my man. It's really interesting to pursue and to realize the minute nuances that sticks have to offer. Since everyone's playing style and hand formation are different, it only follows that stick choices are going to be highly personal, and it does not hurt to have experience with a number of shapes, sizes, and weights to become more intelligent about choices, and to analyze more closely the action of our hands.

For instance, the way the length of the first joint of the index finger affects stick diameter, and the way a stick must fit behind the last knuckle of the fourth finger to give control and rebound, so the stick does not fall off that knuckle. At least, that's what my hand seems to require.