On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm 

Goki wrote:

3 - the TEARDROPS = definitely more timid (and with less volume) than the GRETSCH set. I guess it would be a perfect gigging kit, at least that would be my choice... :)
:

Don't rate the tears until you've seen this. Does it change your view? Sure sound potent to me! I haven't spent near enough time with the kit...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/bria ... dman1.html

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:40 pm 

Comparing your recording with the link isn't fair to you, because of the high end audio versus your Zoom recorder. IMO.
What is it about the recording that you like over your own Sonor Teardrops? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:42 pm 

stevesmithfan wrote:
Comparing your recording with the link isn't fair to you, because of the high end audio versus your Zoom recorder. IMO.
What is it about the recording that you like over your own Sonor Teardrops? Just curious.

What you say is probably true, Greg, and you raise a good question: In a word, Timbre. WHat I don't like is probably a result of the 13 rack (tuned high but perhaps beginning to choke) rather than using the 12, and a low tuned floor, so very little cut with either of them. And, of course, the Lite Snare tuned medium rather than that high cranked 5" he's using.

I've been playing with the 12 again and have cranked the 16 up a smidgeon. I'm interested to know how the kit would sound with clear rather than coated heads, and I'm going to get a Fiberskyn for the bass batter to see what that does. As I say, there's work to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:57 pm 

Goki wrote:

3 - the TEARDROPS = definitely more timid (and with less volume) than the GRETSCH set. I guess it would be a perfect gigging kit, at least that would be my choice... :)

Took the Teardrops out for a run today, outside gig, no mics on the drums, acoustic instruments. I'd like to have retuned the toms to a softer (lower) pitch; the bass was perfect, with lots of warm sustain, a good thing since there was no bass player! :shock:

The Gretsch would have been a mess in the environment, and the Designers... well, let's leave it at this: there wouldn't have been room for the bass, the snare... and the throne... on the small riser provided. :oops:

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 am 

I knew it!!!

It's my intuition, but I'm sure I'd be very pleased with a compact teardrop set...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:02 pm 

Goki wrote:
I knew it!!!

It's my intuition, but I'm sure I'd be very pleased with a compact teardrop set...

I think you would, too, Goki. I thought about you before I packed the Drops yesterday :idea: A whole new thead: "Goki is probably right."